Monday, December 14, 2009

An Open Letter To The "Man" On The Bus

Dear "man" (I use that term VERY loosely) on the bus:

The first two rows of seating on the bus is known as "Priority Seating" as is stated by the various signs around those seats. These signs state that those seats are reserved as "Priority Seating, Please give up these seats to the elderly, disabled, child buggies". This sign does not mean that you, a 5 foot 6 inch 23 year old child can sit there no matter what. Not just sit in that seat mind you, but sit in BOTH seats. Sit right in the middle, so your butt crack is on the seat crack and spread your little legs as far as they will go so no one will sit with you. The lovely mid fourties lady next to me and I - sitting a good six rows back, gave up our seats for a lovely gentleman in his, must be, 80's, who argued with us because ladies should never have to give up their seats for men. We finally convinced him to sit, well aware that it was you who should have moved. A couple stops later a hunched over BLIND MAN got on, and he stood. Again, a lovely, must be mid fifties lady stood up to let this gentleman sit down. She stood, even though you had TWO seats to yourself. It's cold, its raining, we are packed into the bus like sardines, there are finally at least 10 people standing - you oblivious. Another lady got on with a walker - 4 older people got up this time so there was room to fold up the seats for the walker, and a spot for the little lady to sit down. It was at this point where I, admittedly, lost my temper. I politely excused my way passed all the people standing up to the front of the bus. I leaned over and whispered through gritted teeth "GET YOUR LAZY ASS OFF UP THAT SEAT AND LET SOMEONE SIT DOWN!!!" I can tell by your expression that you were going to turn to me with some rude comment, but once you saw my face you could tell that I was on the verge of ripping your face right off. You finally stood up, and I, received cheers and claps from the other passengers. On a going forward basis, please give up your seat to any female even a tiny bit older than you, and any male about 10 years older than you. Don't take up two seats, and for the LOVE of GOD, move to the BACK OF THE BUS!!!
With great love, from me!

3 comments:

  1. I am giving you a standing ovation as I type. I having been a former taker of Boston public transit agree with the need to reprimand the pompous youth and their undeserved sense of rider entitlement. If it were my son, I would have slapped him. Hell, I probably would have slapped the kid anyway ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos! I'm proud of you standing up to that guy even though no one else would. So many people just sit and watch as crappy things happen but you had the courage to tell him off. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! This is one of the things that impresses me so much about the transit system here in Boston. Everyone is so polite and will go out of their way to let even me...a young woman...take their seat.

    But I know what you're talking about. We've all seen those terds.

    ReplyDelete